Lovely, Earth Friendly Cork Flooring
The Benefits of Cork
Cork is a very gaseous material, which makes it a marvelous insulator — no small benefit to homes in the frigid Midwest. It insulates against sound intrusion as well, so a room with cork flooring is going to be pleasantly calm. Cork flooring is marvelous for those who suffer from allergies, as it does not absorb dust and contains naturally occurring antimicrobial elements. Cork is also soft! Whether you’ve young ones who are only just learning to crawl or family members who are advanced in years, either would prefer to fall on a cork floor over any harder one.
Above all, cork is simply beautiful. Its rich, earthy tone provides an indescribable warmth. That it can do so with only minimal care and regular maintenance is simply icing on the cake. Walden Carpets is partnered with APC Cork, one of North America’s leading suppliers of cork flooring, to give total access to so exciting a flooring to our customers throughout the greater Sioux Falls area. We invite you to contact us to learn more about why cork will add tremendous appeal to any room you could install it in!
Cork is made from the bark of the cork oak, a tree found throughout western Mediterranean countries including Portugal and Spain. The tree can live for hundreds of years and grows a thick bark made of millions of tiny air cells. The bark acts as a protective shell during harsh climate changes and fires. A cork oak’s bark also protects it from mold, fungi, and insects. These unique properties are retained in products made of cork as well.
Cork can be harvested every nine to 14 years without causing harm to the cork oak. The tree is not cut down in the process.
Cork boasts a wide range of natural properties that make it excellent for flooring
- Fire Retardance
Cork Care and Maintenance
- You can protect your cork floor by following these easy guidelines!
- Sealing after installation with a coat of high-quality water-based urethane.
- Vacuum or sweep as needed to minimize damage from dirt or grit.
- Use only floor cleaners made for prefinished hardwood.
- Spills should be wiped up immediately.
- Place mats at heavily trafficked areas, avoiding rubber-backed or other types of unventilated mats or rugs.
- Install proper protectors under the feet of furniture.
- Caster wheel chairs should have wide casters.
- Recoat with high-quality water-based urethane when it starts to show signs of wear.
- Protective coating should be maintained every 5 years, sooner if needed.
- Use drapes or other systems to prevent rapid fading.
- Maintain comfortable room temperature and around 50% humidity to minimize contraction and expansion.
3100 S Carolyn Ave
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
Mon - Fri: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Mon Night: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 5:00pm